Thursday 20 September 2012

HISTORY OF SACHAL SARMAST


HISTORY OF SACHAL SARMAST

In the beautiful land of Sindh, there is a beautiful goothu ( a village), Daraazaa. Here in this calm, sanguine, sanctuary of peace and tranquillity stand a monument, a Dargaah, an earthly monument, to that Heavenly Immortal soul, my murshid, my guide Saaeen Sachal Sarmast. The love for the Suufees, Faqeers and Darveishes of this remarkable land of Sindh that is enshrined in every son and daughter of this glorious land of Sindh is really heart-warming, inspiring and touching, indeed.

Abdul Wahab was the real name of this great Philosopher, mystic, scholar par excellence. Sachal being his pen-name – the ‘speaker of Truth, lover of Truth’ – used by him in his brilliant Poetry. This nickname was also used, out of love by the people around him, his disciples, his followers, his admirers and those who sang his enchanting poetry.

Sachal Sarmast Saaeen (1739-1826), was one such icon of this glorious land of Sindh. When Saaeen Sachal he was born, my murshid, my guru, my teacher, my guide Saaeen Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, the foremost, the supreme, formidable, the colossal poet, Suufee, Saint, Sage of Sindh was requested by baby Sachal’s father to visit the family Wahab in Daraza to bless the baby Abdul Wahab. Bhittai Saaeen, travelled to Daraza, where he was ushered in to the ‘haaveli’ to see the new-born baby. He stood by the baby’s cot and held his tiny hand in his gifted and noble hands and remarked: “The pot of truth (wahdaaniyata), love (muhabbata), peace (Sindhyata) and humanity (insaanyata)that I have cooked, Sachal is the one who is going to lift its lid, the covering.”

I have been blessed by God Almighty to have been born in this land of Truth, Peace, Harmony and Tranquility, Sindh, my beloved motherland, my sweet fatherland. Having lived abroad for over forty years, it was the company of Saaeen Bhittai, Saaeen Sachal and other Sufis, Sages of my land that kept me alive and full and replenished with that glorious Message given to us by these Divinely Empowered Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment